Introducing “Sniff my Breed” – An Android app that recognizes the breed of a dog, from just an image of it.
An Android app that recognizes the breed of a dog, from just an image of dog. Powered by Microsoft’s technologies and Google Cloud Infrastructure.
- Instant Recognition: The app instantly recognizes the breed in the image, without taking minutes. Average TTR: 1300ms.
- Ease of use: Upload an image right from your device’s gallery. You can also take a picture in-app and use it directly.
- Remote upload: You can also specify the direct link to an image file directly. You don’t need to download it to your device to identify the breed of the dog. The download automatically takes place in the cloud, and the result gets displayed in the app.
- Learn more: The app also offers an option to learn more information about the recognized breed. Simply ‘scan’ an image and it’ll show an option to learn more. Tapping the ‘learn more’ button will open a webpage containing more info about the specified breed.
- Robust: The app is powered by Artificial Intelligence: Regardless of the pose, lighting or shake, the app does it’s magic to identify the breed. Unlike a search engine like Google which looks for exact matches in unorganized data, the app uses Neural Networks; which roughly work in the same way as the human brain and ‘understands’ the image. In case the app cannot find an exact match, then it matches it with the closest matching breed.
- Self-learning: The algorithm learns from it’s mistakes, and the recognition algorithm gets better each time it sees a new image it hasn’t seen before.
Facts: Displays a random fact on the main screen, from the internet, every 30 seconds.
**Easter Egg**: The app can also recognize human faces now! – Try uploading an image, the app will match the human face to a dog breed! Happy Easter!
Testers: You don’t need to do anything. This feature is server-side toggle.
How to use:
Just download and install the application on your Android Device. Open the app and choose an image or specify a remote URL. Tap the identify button for the magic.
Current Version: 0.9 Beta
- First Public release!
- Lot’s of under the hood changes!
- Completely redesigned the UI from scratch.
- Added an option to upload remote URLs.
- Added a new text box to manually enter the path.
- Bugs fixed: The app now correctly handles internal URL paths. The app now tells you if you choose an invalid path/file, instead of crashing.
- App switched from alpha to beta stage.
Please note that the app is still in development, and may contain some rough edges. The app is still in beta stage. Your feedback is much appreciated!
Although the app does it’s best, it’s not always correct. It’s better to confirm using practical methods, before deriving a conclusion. However, it’s not a useless app either: Based on internal tests, the app performed correct recognition in over 85% of the cases. In some cases, it even outperformed it’s human counterparts.
Some of the challenges the app faces: it needs to get it correct in spite of environmental factors such as illumination, angle, pose and other factors. Noise in the image also causes difficulties in recognition. The working is totally different from that of a search engine. A search engine just maps the given input to the one in the database, but this app learns and understands the patterns in the image, applies it’s thinking and looks for common patterns, colors, and shape and finally establishes a link to a known entity. In short, the app needs to ‘see’ the image.
The app is for fun purposes and must not be used commercially and in mission critical applications. Please report any other bugs or ideas that you like to get fixed to me, in the comments section below this page.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS OR THE DEVELOPER BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. ONLY PROCEED IF YOU AGREE TO EVERY POINT OF EVERY LICENSE AGREEMENTS/TERMS.
All names/trademarks/products belong to their respective owners. This app makes use of certain 3rd party services for the storage, retrieval and processing of data, when you utilize certain features of the application. By using them, you agree to their applicable license terms. For example, whenever you upload an image, these services act as storage providers. Your data (what you upload) is sent to these trusted providers for processing.
On some devices that I have tested, the camera upload didn’t work. Please note that if it happens to you, this is issue with your Android Device ROM and not a bug in the application. To know if it works, take a pic using the “Take a new picture” button from the app. The app should show a “camera complete” toast notification and the text box should also update to the new image location. If it doesn’t, then the camera input is not working for you. You can still choose other forms of uploading (such as uploading from gallery) to upload a snap from your device camera.
You may download the application using any of the following methods:
Click the below button to download the APK (Android Package) directly to this device. You are free to distribute this to other devices over any means.
Size: 3.7 MB, Runs on: Android Jellybean 4.3 and newer versions. NO ADS, NO VIRUSES AND NO MALWARE. As a developer, I respect your privacy. This app collects absolutely no personal information from your device by itself.
You can also scan this barcode from your device, to directly download it (Version 0.9 Beta):
Visit this link on your Android Device Browser:
If you like this app, please provide feedback!
Thanks for using my App. Have a great day!